Spring brings the return of Charleston’s beloved church tea rooms – where delicious food is prepared in true Charleston style. St. Phillip’s Tea Room, one of the oldest, is known for many tasty dishes, and the ladies of the church very kindly shared this wonderful recipe for classic chicken salad.
• 4-5 chicken breasts, roasted; skin, bones removed; equal to 5 cups chopped chicken
• 2 medium celery stalks, diced
• 2 medium scallions, minced, white and green parts
• ¾ cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley leaves, minced
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Note: freshly minced tarragon or basil leaves may also be added
Mix all the above ingredients together in a large bowl, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and chill until service. Can be refrigerated overnight. Serves 6.