Historic Charleston Home
Of Charleston’s many fine house museums, only the Edmondston-Alston House (constructed in 1825 and enhanced in 1838) commands a magnificent view of Charleston Harbor. From its piazza, General P. T. Beauregard watched the fierce bombardment of Ft. Sumter on April 12, 1861, signaling the start of the Civil War. And on December 11 of the same year, the house gave refuge to General Robert E. Lee the night a wide-spreading fire threatened his safety in a Charleston hotel.
Collections of the House Museum
The collection at the Edmondston-Alston House Museum consists of pieces that belonged to the family, reflecting not only family history but American history. Despite the ravages of the Civil War, the Earthquake of 1886 and numerous hurricanes, the Alston family pieces remain in place much as they have for over 150 years. Notable in the collection is an original print of the Ordinance of Secession, portraits, dining room table, gas lights, mirror and exquisite interior woodwork.
A witness to many dramatic events in Charleston’s history – look seaward from the second floor piazza where Gen. Beauregard watched the bombardment of Fort Sumter. The Edmondston-Alston House is a classic example of the city’s changing and sophisticated taste in architecture and decorative arts, and is a repository of fine family treasures. Alston family silver, furniture, books and paintings remain in place much as they have been for over a century and a half. The Edmondston-Alston House is a house museum of the Middleton Place Foundation.
Combo Tickets available with Middleton Place