Market Hall Home of “The Confederate Museum”
The site of this building was originally occupied by the MASONIC Hall, which was completely destroyed by fire in 1838. Market Hall was built in 1841. It is a copy of the Temple of the Wingless Victory in Athens, Greece. Money flowed freely in Charleston at that time and materials for the new building were brought by water from as far away as New York, Connecticut and Italy. Its original purpose was to be the “head building” or front entrance to the six blocks of roofed market space that attached to Market Hall. This was a farmer’s market where fruits, meats, vegetables, and fish were sold – no slaves.
Owned and operated by Charleston Chapter #4 United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Adults: $5, Children 6-12: $3, Under 6: Free