Frequently Asked Questions About Charleston
- Can I walk to Fort Sumter?
Fort Sumter is located in Charleston Harbor and is accessible only by boat. Tours depart from the Fort Sumter Visitor Education Center (downtown near the South Carolina Aquarium) and from Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant.
- Where is Rainbow Row?
- The 14 colorful, private residences known as Rainbow Row are located from 83 to 107 East Bay Street.
- Where is the Battery?
- Located at the tip of Charleston’s peninsula, the Battery, which includes White Point Gardens, is a landmark promenade. Drive to the end of East Bay, Meeting or King Street to get to the Battery.
- What types of tours are offered?
- There is a wide variety of walking, boat, motorized and carriage tours available. Most require reservations, so call ahead.
- Where can I park?
- Charleston has plenty of parking garages as well as on street meter parking. Pick up a free copy of Charleston Gateway and the Charleston Map Guide for garage locations.
Our Affiliate Publications and Services