Michael Nickell, Director of Operations of Magnolia’s, one of the restaurants featured on the Culinary Tours of Charleston, graciously shared one of his personal, and most southern, recipes.
“One of my best friend’s mother, Alice Marks, made the quintessential Pimiento Cheese. I have never seen her recipe, so this is about as close as I can get to duplicating her ‘Southern Caviar.’ I prefer to use the fresh roasted red pepper. It gives enough extra depth and flavor to be worth the 50 minute roasting and peeling process. If you prefer a spicy version, add 1 tablespoon of sautéed minced jalapeno pepper and a few dashes of hot sauce.”
Makes 2½ cups
- 5 large roasted red peppers, peeled, seeded and chopped or 2 1/2 cups jarred diced red pimientos
- 1 cup finely chopped stuffed green olives
- 1¼ lbs New York or Vermont sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Season to taste with cayenne pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For more information or reservations for the Culinary Tours of Charleston, call 843-722-TOUR.