Many businesses in Charleston have been working hard behind the scenes to make sure you can still experience Charleston from afar. Here are some unique, local opportunities to stay active, engaged + entertained from the comfort of your own home from our friends at CHStoday.
From virtual tours of the South Carolina Aquarium to online tap dance lessons, here are some unique, local opportunities to stay active, engaged + entertained from the comfort of your own home.
Virtual aquarium tours
○ Hosted by the South Carolina Aquarium
○ Via Facebook Live at 10 a.m. + 2 p.m. every weekday
○ Guided by a STEM-based learning educator
○ Interaction encouraged through online activities
Gibbes Museum of Art virtual walkthrough
○ Hosted by Gibbes Museum of Art
○ Using Google Street Views, you can virtually walk through all of the exhibits on display.
○ Visitors can pair their virtual walkthroughs with audio from the Gibbes’ mobile app, which explains each piece on display.
Plugged into History
○ Hosted by Middleton Place
○ Shows will stream live and be posted on Middleton Place’s Facebook page
○ Historians and interpreters present daily fun and educational content, Live Lamb Cam, and Zoom chats
Virtual jazz shows
○ Hosted by Forte Jazz Lounge
○ Shows will stream live on Forte Jazz Lounge’s Facebook page beginning at 7 p.m. Wed.-Sat.
○ Shows are free to watch, but virtual tickets are available to purchase to support the local jazz lounge. (Bonus: everyone who donated will be invited to a special party with the Joe Clarke Big Band once the lounge is opened back up.)
Local musician performances
○ Hosted by Moranz Entertainment
○ With the cancellation of Moranz Entertainment + various shows at the Charleston Music Hall, Brad + Jennifer Moranz are releasing weekly musical performances via GoFundMe.
○ Free to stream, donations encouraged (all donations will be given to those who are entirely dependent on performing for income.)
○ Videos + donation page here.
Virtual Performance Series- No Intermission
○ Hosted by the Post and Courier online daily
○ Featuring jazz, classical + popular music from local artists and play scenes from local actors
○ Check out episode one with bass and vocal artist Reggie Sullivan
Bartending with Bottles
○ Hosted by Bottles Beverage Superstore
○ Local bartenders will share a signature cocktail recipe via social media
○ Twice a week starting March 23
○ Featured cocktail recipe kits are available to pick up with pre-order via email
○ Hosted by Live 5 News
○ Tuesdays + Thursdays at 2 p.m. via Facebook live.
○ Kids can get the chance to learn about the jobs of meteorologists and reporters + get a virtual tour of the studio.
Virtual Education and Community Program
○ Hosted by the Gaillard Center
○ Access performance videos and prepared lesson plans curated by Director of Education, Sterling deVries, M.Ed., and Education Coordinator, Stephanie Creger, MAT.
Virtual group fitness classes
○ Hosted by College of Charleston Campus Recreation Services
○ Via Facebook and Instagram
○ Twice a day Monday-Friday, view this week’s schedule here.
○ Including HIIT, yoga, and core blast classes.
Looking for dinning and retail stores that are offering To-go, curbisde pickup or virtual shopping? Click here #LowcountryForever is a movement to support Lowcountry businesses today, so they can prosper tomorrow.
Have another favorite virtual activity that’s been keeping you entertained? Share with us below.