Top 9 Things to SEA and Do at the South Carolina Aquarium
Located on the beautiful Charleston Harbor, the South Carolina Aquarium is a destination you won’t want to miss. From hands-on animal encounters to an up-close look at sea turtle rehabilitation, the aquarium has something for every member of the family. Check out our list of the top ten things to see and do during your visit.
1. Catch a dive show: Dive shows are held daily in the 42-feet-deep Great Ocean Tank at 11 am and 3 pm. You’ll learn all about the hundreds of animals that reside in North America’s tallest aquarium tank.
2. Experience recovery: Follow a sea turtle’s journey from rescue to release in the aquarium’s newest experience, Zucker Family Sea Turtle Recovery™. The exhibit offers a glimpse into a working sea turtle hospital and contains plenty of interactive elements, such as mock diagnostic stations. Twice daily turtle talks and touch-screen installations will help you learn more about current patients and about how you can help protect endangered sea turtles.
3. Touch a sea star: Located on the second floor, the aquarium’s Touch Tank contains sea stars, chain dogfish and other animals that guests can safely touch. Feeling hesitant? Aquarium staff members are on hand to walk you through your interaction and to answer all your fishy questions.
4. Watch the otters play: A visit isn’t complete without spending some time watching the aquarium’s North American river otters, Ace and Stono, swim and play together in their outdoor habitat.
5. Feed the stingrays: For a small fee, you can purchase a cup of smelt to feed the stingrays in one of the aquarium’s outdoor exhibits, The Shallows.
6. Look for wild dolphins: The aquarium overlooks the Charleston Harbor, a popular play area for wild dolphins. Spend a few minutes taking in the beauty of the Ravenel Bridge, and you may spot a few dolphins.
7. Find the bricks: Throughout the aquarium, see if you can find all 12 animal sculptures crafted out of LEGO® bricks. Staff members used more than 250,000 bricks to create these amazing figures.
8. Watch animal enrichment: Aquarium staff highlight a featured animal each day at 2:30 pm. You can learn about how changes to their environments help promote happy and healthy lives.
9. Attend After Hours: Traveling without children? The aquarium offers a series of adults-only evening events that include drinks, appetizers and entertainment. Visit their website for a complete list of dates.
Plan your visit to the South Carolina Aquarium at scaquarium.org. Photos by South Carolina Aquarium.